All ELI students are required to have medical insurance. This requirement is for the protection of our students. Medical costs in the United States can be significant. It is important that our students be prepared for a medical emergency. Students must either present proof of medical insurance or purchase insurance upon arrival.
The health insurance policy must match or exceed the following minimum coverage:
- Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per person per accident or illness.
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $15,000.
- Expenses associated with medical evacuation in the amount of $50,000.
- A deductible not to exceed $100 per accident or illness.
- Dependents of student must also have the same coverage.
Health insurance information for different carriers are available at the following links:
* Students who are fully or conditionally admitted to a Syracuse University degree program will automatically be charged for the new university AETNA health insurance plan upon transfer into Syracuse University. For more information, please visit SU’s international student website here.
All Syracuse University students must go through a health clearance process at Health Services. After you arrive at the ELI, you will make an appointment to review your health history with a nurse at Health Services. Because New York State requires that all students provide evidence of immunizations, students are not permitted in class until health clearance is validated.
Syracuse University requires documentation of immunity to measles, mumps, and rubella in compliance with New York State Public Health Law. In addition, you must be tested for tuberculosis. The following form must be completed by a health professional in your home country and brought with you when you come to Syracuse.