Students who want to succeed in English benefit greatly from ELI courses. The core program at the ELI is Academic English, designed for students who are conditionally admitted to Syracuse University, students who wish to study at another university in the United States, professionals who would like to improve their English to better succeed in their careers, and other individuals who would like to learn English intensively.
The ELI also offers additional programs in the summer that are specialized for unique purposes. These programs include Business English and Legal English.
Some highlights of the English Language Institute:
- Established in 1979 on the Syracuse University campus
- High quality intensive English
- Year-round instruction
- Pre-academic programs to prepare undergraduate and graduate students for US study
- Professional discipline-specific programs
- iBT TOEFL testing site
- Cultural orientation
- Peer mentors, conversation groups, conversation partners, and holiday events
- Opportunities to explore Niagara Falls, Alexandria Bay, Skaneateles Lake, and other nearby attractions
** The US Department of State’s Bureau of Consular Affairs is currently experiencing technical problems with the passport and visa processing systems worldwide. During this time, students will experience delays in getting their visas. Please be aware of this problem and plan your time accordingly. If you have any questions, please let the ELI office know.
Please also note that the ELI is currently saturated with SACM sponsored students. We are unable to accept any students from Saudi Arabia for the Fall 2015 semester unless:
– The student has conditional admission to a degree program at Syracuse University.
– The student will be paying for his/herself and will not apply for a SACM scholarship.
Stories From Our Students
All of my experiences in the U.S. have been special and unique and I’m very grateful to the ELI staff for making it easier for me. As with everyone moving to a new country, at the beginning I was full of questions and quite scared. There were many reasons for it; about the culture, the … Continued” See More Stories
Brazil Science Mobility Program
Syracuse University and the English Language Institute are pleased to participate on the Brazil Science Mobility Program in Syracuse this Fall.Brazil Science Mobility Program