English for legal practitioners and prospective LL.M students
English for Lawyers now available online for the Summer 2020 program!
Given the uncertainty caused by the reduction of services at US Embassies and Consulates coupled with the travel restrictions related to COVID-19, we have decided to offer English for Lawyers online for the Summer 2020 session.
Please be assured that the full resources of the English Language Institute will be delivered without a sacrifice in the quality of instruction. Our instructors and student services staff will be at your disposal to help you navigate your online experience at Syracuse University.
Interested students should apply here to enroll in the online English for Lawyers program.
The principal components are:
- Textual Communication for Lawyers
- Oral Communication for Lawyers
These three components are designed to provide a foundation in legal terminology and language usage in various areas (listening, speaking, reading, writing, and research) for non-native speakers of English who intend to earn an LL.M. degree in the United States.
The objectives include increasing participants’ ability to understand and discuss common legal matters and improving their research skills. All components include group work as well as individual assignments. The course provides 25 instructional hours per week.
Textual Communication for Lawyers
- Exposure to legal vocabulary through a variety of exercises that include reading and writing
- Practicing critical thinking in a legal context
- Understanding and practicing various citation styles
Oral Communication for Lawyers
- Exposure to legal vocabulary through a variety of speaking and listening exercises
- Accent reduction
- Practicing discussion skills
- Practicing clear and concise argumentation and negotiation skills
- Legal listening exercises
- Simulating legal environment by conducting mock trials
Practicing various grammatical structures including:
- Connecting ideas by coordination and subordination
- Common sentence problems
- Verb forms and verb tenses
- Adjective, adverb, and noun clauses
- Punctuation and mechanics
English for Lawyers Online 2020 Course Dates
|Online Virtual Orientation:||Friday, June 26|
|First Day of Online Classes:||Monday, June 29|
|Last Day of Online Classes:||Thursday, August 6|
|Certificate Ceremony:||Friday, August 7|
Students attend class Monday through Friday. Here is the online class schedule:
|8:30 am – 10:15 am||Textual Communication for Lawyers|
|10:15 am – 10:45 am||Break|
|10:45 am – 12:30 pm||Oral Communication for Lawyers|
|12:30 pm – 1:30 pm||Lunch|
|1:30 pm – 3:15 pm||Grammar
(Monday – Thursday only)
English for Lawyers 2020 Course Fees
|Tuition (Due before the first day of class.)||$3,825|
|Incidentals (books, etc.)||$800|
All fees are subject to change.