All Syracuse University students are required to submit the medical records to the health center via the Health Center Portal. After you arrive at the ELI, you will make an appointment to review your health history with a nurse at Health Services. Because New York State requires that all students provide evidence of immunizations, students are not permitted in class or campus housing until health clearance is done. Syracuse University requires documentation of immunity to Mumps, Measles, and Rubella (MMR) in compliance with New York State Public Health Law. In addition, you may be tested for tuberculosis.
All ELI students are required to have medical insurance. This requirement is for the protection of our students. Medical costs in the United States can be significant. It is important that our students be prepared for a medical emergency. Students must either present proof of medical insurance or purchase insurance upon arrival.
The health insurance policy must match or exceed the following minimum coverage:
- Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per person per accident or illness.
- Repatriation of remains in the amount of $15,000.
- Expenses associated with medical evacuation in the amount of $50,000.
- A deductible not to exceed $100 per accident or illness.
- Dependents of student must also have the same coverage.
Health insurance information for different carriers are available at the following links:
* Students who are fully or conditionally admitted to a Syracuse University degree program will automatically be charged for the new university AETNA health insurance plan upon transfer into Syracuse University. For more information, please visit SU’s international student website here.